Scroll down for videos.

Terrafugia Transition—First Flight, Camera A

Terrafugia Transition—First Flight, Camera B

Wade Roush is a freelance science and technology journalist and the producer and host of the podcast Soonish. Follow @soonishpodcast

Trending on Xconomy

30 responses to “Terrafugia Achieves Maiden Flight—Live Blogging from the Boston Museum of Science”

1. Matt says:

Now they just need to make a 4 seater version so that the 1950’s dream of taking the family vacation in the flying car will FINALLY become reality!

WOOO!

2. Good. Now, How Much?
    What is the flight envelope?
    What computer navigation and aviation equip?
    Payload Cap.?

3. J.L.Lee says:

As a retired commercial turbine aircraft pilot, (B-727 series – Dc-9 – Lear series) all we need is a bunch of people who can barely drive responsibly, possessing more money than sense, screaming around in the national airspace system.

It wasn’t a computer that landed in the Hudson, it was a well trained pilot. It’s difficult enough trying to maneuver and avoid the “Cessna Flack” on a climb or descent without compounding the problem. I would hope they would be restricted to 2000’AGL and out of high aircraft traffic areas.
    A vehicle better named Kamakaze!

We will soon be facing an influx into the NAS by the so called VLJ’s (Very Light Jets) that will put more incompetents in command of a 450mph aircraft and allow just about anyone to buy into the personal jet circus who can afford the price of admission.

Shit happens fast when your going 7-8 miles a minute; you better know how to aviate, navigate, and communicate quickly and precisely or end up aluminum plating a mountain side somewhere.

There’s no such thing as a “fender bender” at altitude!

4. george says:

To MR J.L. Lee

You sir are possible one of the most arrogant individuals I have seen in the flying community. As a retired commercial pilot you somehow feel that you can speak for the rest of the pilots.

There are over 600000 private pilots in the US and only a very small percentage are commercial, but the rest are still very well trained and very responsible.

I find it interesting that your attitude is what you stated, I guess as a bus driver you have never bothered to fly for fun.

You also might want to look up the statistics, there are far more fatalities caused by commercial crashes than by small planes.

The “Cessna flack” – I don’t even know how to respond to that, try flying a small plane sir, and you might begin to think of the big planes as the issue.

Since there are vastly more small airports and small airplanes out there you might want to rethink your prejudices.

While drivers tend to be an undisciplined group, pilots are not, anybody that is willing to put in the time, and money to get their private or sport ticket deserves better than your diatribe.

All I can say is I am very glad that a curmudgeon like you is out of my airspace.

5. john says:

J.L.Lee

You are an ignorant idiot that I am happy to hear is retired. Commercial pilots like yourself that believe that only commercial pilots are competent stink like the manure you are filled with.

I will agree that commercial pilots have more experience, but there are almost as many private/small plane flights as there are commercial and you don’t see small craft crashing everyday.

Do you think the FAA will make the process of becoming a pilot easier due to the availability of craft like the Terrafugia?

As to your comment “Cessna Flack” it only shows how much of an A hole you truly are.
    As a Aircraft controller at a MAJOR international airport on the easy coast I communicate with hundreds of pilots everyday and I know first hand that all commercial pilots are not the cream of the crop.
    Oh yeah I also spent 8 years in the U.S. Navy as an (AIC)Air Intercept controller, gained my single engine at 19 years old, I am 35 and have been flying for 16 years and love it. Commercial pilots do not OWN the sky remember that I know pilots with your mentality believe that but you are wrong.

6. Counsel says:

I am not a pilot, although I have thought about it a few times in the past. With all due respect to pilots everywhere, it isn’t neurosurgery.

With all due respect to neurosurgeons, training and experience might make anyone a great neurosurgeon.

It is your attitude about “those uneducated” (fill in your word here) that is the problem. You may be better trained with more experience, but you are still making assumptions that speak more about you than those who want to own the new “flying car.”

I would think everyone would agree that the more education (in any field) that reaches “the masses” is a good thing…

7. Eric Bohn says:

They stated that the only intended market for this is people looking to fly between airports. This is not an ultralight aircraft, and would no doubt require much stricter piloting licence requirements as the vehicle would most likely be flying in the same regulated airspace as small single engine craft, and at the same speeds.

Basically, this car is like a cessna piper cub that you can take the wings off of and use on the road in very little time.

8. Boeing pilots are like bus drivers to me says:

to me professional plane pilots are more trained than private ones. That does not mean they are better or more important.

As an analogy, bus, truck and taxi drivers are not better or more important than other drivers.

And surely they can be more annoying and arrogant like Mr Lee (notice how he uses 2 initials J.L. to show he’s educated)

9. E. Greenwald says:

I’m not a pilot, just an old retired EE. But my respect for the opinion of someone offering strong criticism is greatly deminished if the writer cannot differentiate between the word “your” and the contraction “you’re”. Someone should send Mr. Lee a copy of the excellent book “Eats, Shoots and Leaves”. Mr. Lee will find an example of his usage of the word “your” on page 53, under the heading “Plain Illiteracy”.

10. JohnnyK says:

Honestly I think that this is awsome… Its the new thing out. This is going to be the near future. I have a 1965 thunderbird, and looking at that and the newer cars out, its a big change. People, ease up a bit! Look at this persons creation. Its amazing to have an object that can be in air also can be used on the road in minutes. Imagine your seeing the first car ever made.. then there are different productions. And if you are an owner of a car. What your going to say “no they shouldn’t make new cars because they have so many and that would cause many accidents.” No thats not right. Be happy for this amazing creation and give him credit for what he came up with. Im sure if this was a production, they would make rules and regulations inorder to fly, but all I have to say is that “I WANT THIS.” I love to fly and I cant imagine having one in my garage. Its just amazing… thats my opinion, Terrafugia is a beautiful thing that was make. Good job and hope you come up with other great ideas. JohnnyK

11. I can’t wait for a large auto company to follow suit. A company like Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Dodge, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, etc.

12. Tim D-T says:

“4 seater version”
    It’s currently designed under “light sport aircraft” rules, which means only 2 seats are allowed. A four-seater would have to meet all of the certification requirements of Federal Aviation Regulations, Part 23, which would probably be tough/impossible from an engineering perspective, while still being light enough to perform well.

13. alf says:

que no mamen, es una avioneta esa chingadera

14. James says:

As soon as Terrafugia begins to sell the transition, I will purchase one. I am holding out for the next model. I imagine that they have another one in the works currently. I still have time to wait, I still need to receive my private pilots certificate. So, until I get that I won’t be purchasing anything yet. I sure am very happy for Terrafugia’s success. Best of luck to them, and thank you for this great creation! :)

15. medved says:

How is the company going to distribute Terrafugia?